The amazing Singapore
Maybe is the sun, maybe is the holiday all around spirit, but Singapore is always in my personal top. Sky scrapers but a lot of vegetation, incredible tasty food, eclectic mix of cultures and a lot of shopping opportunities. Add the amazing orchids to that!
When I got, a couple of years ago, to Hong Kong, I thought it is the most captivating place I have ever seen. Back in Asia, Bali became my number one favourite: it had the zen and the sun I needed. But the Singapore surprise was the biggest one: you can have also the facilities of one of the most technologically developed cities in the world but the Asiatic zen. And that’s the combination that makes it so special!
Must-go reasons list:
- It’s sunny and warm. Yes, all year round.
- Even you I was in a town filled with sky scrapers, I always could find enormous park and a lot of different orchids everywhere.
- The incredible mix of cultures and the even most tempting mix of flavours and dishes (I had to go to Lau Pa Sat, the most amazing traditional food market. I didn’t taste the famous satay with peanut sauce – Camil said they were amazing – but I tasted a lot of Indian dishes with chickpea and curry, some Chinese noodles and various kinds of seashells.
- English is the official language: goodbye, lost in translation situations!
- In every big city, the main shopping boulevard has chic boutiques on every part of the road. In Singapore, I experienced an entire afternoon on Orchard Road, where there are no boutiques anymore, but shopping malls.
My advice? Don’t miss the evening walks on Marina Bay, share a laksa (traditional food in Singapore) on Fullerton terrace, find cute & funny souvenirs in China Town and relax for a day on Sentosa Island (avoid the waterparks and silly amusement parks, if you are over 14).
My favourite places? Singapore Art Museum, one of the most beautiful and interesting art museums I’ve been into, with a lot of art works and installations, and the orchids garden.
Minuses? I found just a few: it’s a little bit far from Europe (a good airline and an iPad with good movies and e-books can save you) and I couldn’t ignore that everywhere I went, from hotels to restaurants, malls or underground, the air conditioning was blowing like hell.
For party: the rooftop bar me@oue –for the beautiful view on Marina Bay, for the fresh music and cool crowd, for the perfect cocktails. Or you could choose Ce La Vi (former Ku De Ta, with a makeover in 2015), the in vogue club from 57 floor.
For a good dinner: Ostro, Ishinomaki Grill & Sake, Joo Bar
For a nice breakfast: Nine Thirty By Awfully Chocolate, Odettes Eatery
For icecream: Milkcow Singapore, Giapo Haute Ice Cream
For a delicious juice: you don’t have to look too far, you can find a juice bar with fresh fruits and vegetables almost at every corner of the street.